Ketogenic diet! One of the most common terms every health and fitness lover must have come across! But do you know what ketogenic diet is exactly? Are you wondering whether it helps to lose weight or is it effective in boosting energy? Well, don’t worry! Here is everything that you need to about ketogenic diet and its benefits –
About Ketogenic Diet
A ketogenic diet is a high fat, very low carb diet plan that helps turn the body into a fat burning machine. It is also referred to as the keto diet or the low carb high fat (LCHF) diet. This type of diet plan can help you improve health and lose weight.The modified version of ketogenic diet was designed in the late 90s. This diet plan has been inspired by the Atkins diet plan. There are different types of the ketogenic diet based on the consumption of carbs.
A ketogenic diet is based on a metabolic state called as ketosis. In this diet plan, the body is put in the ketogenic state by drastically reducing intake of carbs. Liver naturally creates fats in the liver and these fats are called ketones. When the body performs ketosis, fats are turned into ketones in the liver and these ketones supply energy to the brain. Thus by developing the ability to burn fat as fuel, ketogenic diets help in reducing weight and improving the health of the body.
Benefits of Ketogenic Diet
Ketogenic diet offers a wide range of benefits right from diabetes management to weight loss. Prime benefits of ketogenic diet include –
- Improvement in sensitivity to insulin and lower insulin levels
- Lower blood pressure
- Helps in maintaining healthy weight as energy is derived from fat in the body
- Reduces appetite thus reducing the consumption of calories
- Best diet plan for weight loss
- Freedom from sugar cravings and food fixations
- Increases lifespan due to the lower level of oxidative stress in the body
- Lesser risk of cardiovascular diseases and other metabolic syndromes
- Eliminates chronic illness, joint pains, and stiffness in body
- Reduction in inflammation
- Reduction in levels of cholesterol
- Lower levels of triglycerides
- Improved functioning of brain, memory recall, mental performance and learning ability
- Improvement in endurance and performance
- Stable levels of energy in body
- Reduction in seizures in epileptic children
- Slow down progression and reduction in symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease
Facts of Ketogenic Diet
First started as a medical treatment, Keto diet gained popularity with athletes, weightlifters, and models. Slowly as the benefits of this diet plan became known, fitness lovers, obese people and anyone wanting a healthy life have adopted a ketogenic diet. A not-so-new diet, it has been touted for its wide range of health benefits.
- The diet has been designed to put your body into the state of ketosis. It takes away glucose supply from the body and resorts to the next source of fuel – fat. Thus, the body starts using fat as the primary source of energy.
- When you have taken up a keto diet for weight loss, your daily intake of carbs should be less than 50 – 60g. It is also important for the body to stay active for proper utilization of fat in the body.
- For a better effect of a ketogenic diet, including eggs, fatty fish, healthy oils, cheese, avocados, seeds and nuts and other foods in your diet.
- While on a keto diet, it is important to avoid sugary foods, alcohol, unhealthy fat, fruits, diet products, low-fat products and more.
- In other to keep your carb levels low, it is important that you read the labels of foods you consume. Do not simply look for foods that are high in protein as few protein-rich foods like dairy products are high in carb levels too. You need to find foods that are high in protein or fat but low in carbs.
When you start with a ketogenic diet, initial days can be tough on your body and mind. But, do not give up immediately. A keto diet has proven to achieve significant weight loss over an extended period of time. Also, make sure you combine ketogenic diet with the right level of physical activity or exercise for better results. Get in touch with a diet expert for dos and don’ts of a ketogenic diet and how to plan it properly. With its many health benefits, a ketogenic diet is surely a go-to diet for weight loss and healthy body.